Before You Begin
Note: All computer screen pictures contained in this document are graphical representations. Actual paths, folder and file names may be different based on where your company file is stored.
Prepare for the Update
- Please update and run any antivirus and antispyware scans.
- Check for and run any Windows updates.
- Create a backup of your data.
- Locate and write down your serial number. Your serial number can be located in AccountEdge under Help, then Registration. You will need this number in order to upload your payroll taxes.
Serial Number __________________________________________________
- Close all programs on your computer.
- Verify you have created a 2020 data file (KWR_MC##.MYO) and started a new Fiscal and Payroll year per the Year End document instructions found here before beginning the AccountEdge 2020 upgrade process.
- Verify Administrator rights are set to allow downloading of new programs.
- Allow time to complete every activity in this manual as documented prior to beginning ANY work in your company file.
Note: If you are using a network version of AccountEdge, you will need to upgrade the software on each computer station. The data file must be updated on the server.
Step 1: Download and Install AccountEdge
- Log in to KWConnect
- Go to Resources - Market Center Leadership.
- Click MC Software.
- Download the appropriate file:
- For US Market Centers click on AccountEdge Pro 2020 - US to save the AccountEdge upgrade file (AccountEdge_Win_2020_KW.exe) to your computer.
- For Quebec Market Centers click on Accountedge 2020 Upgrade - Quebec to save the AccountEdge upgrade file (AccountEdge_Pro_Canada_Win.exe) to your computer.
- Double-click the file you have just saved to run it.
NOTE: If you get a security warning asking “Do you want to run this file,” click Run.
- The AccountEdge 2020 (v29) Install window appears. Read it and click Next.
- The AccountEdge License Agreement appears. Read it, select Accept, and click Next.
- Make sure destination is “C:\” and select Next.
- The Select Program Folder window appears. Leave the default Program Folder name and click Next.
- The Start Copying Files window appears. Click Next.
- The files will begin to copy.
- When installation is complete, the InstallShield Wizard Complete window appears. Click Finish. Note: You may be required to restart your computer at this point.
- The AccountEdge overview window appears. Click New Features for a rundown of the AccountEdge enhancements included in this release.
- To view this information later, open AccountEdge, click Help, then What’s New in this Release.
Step 2: Upgrade Your Company File(s)
- Open AccountEdge 2020 (v29).
- Click Company File Maintenance – Upgrade Company File.
- The Welcome to the AccountEdge Upgrade Assistant window appears. Click Next.
- Note: The Migration Assistant window below may appear before the Upgrade Assistant window. The instructions are the same either way.
- The Find File to Upgrade window appears. Click Find File.
- Navigate to the AccountEdge2019 folder. Select your current AccountEdge 2019 company file and click Open. Note: If AccountEdgePro2019 is not located on the C: drive, check the AccountEdge Pro 2019 US folder located in My Documents.
- The Find File to Upgrade window appears again. The default location is recommended. If you would like to use the default location, click Next.
- If you need to change the location:
- Click Save As.
- Navigate to the C: drive and the AccountEdgePro2020 folder and click Open. From the AccountEdgePro2020 folder, type the following file name into the file name box: KWR_MC###.myo (where number sign equals your Market Center number).
- Click Save.
- Click Next.
- The Confirm window appears, click Next.
- AccountEdge will upgrade your file. Depending on the size of your company file, it may take several minutes to complete.
Click Next to upgrade all of your previous year’s company files. Repeat Step 2 for each AccountEdge data company file you have. You may see a prompt that says “not responding” if you attempt to perform other actions while doing the update. If this happens, do not stop the update, merely let the program run. You will update each previous year’s company data files for to use with AccountEdge 2018. The prior year data files are named “YYYYKWR_MC###.MYO.” For example, MC9999 would find the following data files to upgrade; 2005KWR_MC9999.MYO, 2006KWR_MC9999.MYO, 2007KWR_MC9999.MYO, continuing through the current year’s KWR_MC9999.MYO.
Note: If your current AccountEdge company file has a name other than KWR_MC###.MYO, use that file name.
- Once all years have been upgraded to 2020, click Finish.
Step 3: Copy Any Customized Forms
- You are likely to have customized forms, for example, agent invoices. To copy them, open AccountEdge Pro 2020 from your desktop icon.
- Click Company File Maintenance and select Migrate previous version.
- Select Copy Spreadsheets and click Start.
- Click OK.
Step 4: Enter Accountedge Serial Number
Using the Serial Number you recorded at the beginning of these steps:
- Choose Help from the menu bar at the top of the screen
- Choose Registration from the dropdown
- Fill in the entire form (omit special characters like the # sign - except for the @ symbol in your email address)
- Click Register at the bottom of the window.
Step 5: Check for product updates
- Open your KWR_MCXX.MYO file from AccountEdgePro2020 using your desktop icon.
- Click Help, then Check for Product Updates.
If there is a new AccountEdge release, you will complete the following steps:
Note: you will not see these steps if you are on the most current version of AccountEdge.
- Click Next on the AccountEdge Updater.
- Once the update installer has been downloaded to your desktop, click Finish.
- Click Yes when prompted.
- Click OK when prompted.
- You may be logged out of Accountedge.
- If you were logged out of Accountedge, open Accountedge.
- Select Setup, then Payroll Updates.
- The About Tax Tables window appears. Click Check for Updates.
- You may be prompted to register. Use the serial number you recorded in the Before You Begin section of these instructions from your 2017 file. If you register at this time, go back to Step 3 and begin the process again.
Note: If you are not prompted to register at this time, make sure to register your software after the tax tables have loaded. Click Help, then Register.
- A warning message will appear. Click Load NEW Tables.
- You will see a “Loading tax tables” message.
- When “The tax tables were loaded successfully” message appears. Click OK.
Double Check Your Backup Process
Confirm with your IT person that all backup processes are including your AccountEdge 2020 data.
- Open your 2020 Data file.
- Click Browse
- Navigate to where you saved your 2020 upgraded data file (Normally in the Accountedge Pro 2020 US folder under documents).
- Select your KWR_MC####.myo file.
- Enter your password if necessary and your file will open.
- Update your backup processes to ensure that you are backing up the new Accountedge 2020 folder.
NOTE: Once you have upgraded your 2020 file, make sure you do not try to sync your old AE 2019 file with Accountedge Connect, you will only sync with your newly upgraded AE 2020 data file.
File Maintenance - Older Versions of Accountedge
Provided you have upgraded all prior year files (per the instructions above), you can remove older versions of the Accountedge Program.
NOTE: Before you remove older version, make sure you check the program folders and make backup copies of any data or document files you need to keep.
If you need help, email MCASupport@kw.com.