Whether you are recovering files from a crashed computer, or copying files from an old computer to a new computer, here is the general setup for the MCA software. Software that you should concern yourself with includes (but is not limited to): WinMORE, AccountEdge, My Documents, and Microsoft Office. See also the MCA Technical Requirements for more details (found on answers.kw.com).
Preparation/Copy files from old Computer:
- Clean up the old computer – moving all stray files from misc directories or the desktop to the folder where they belong.
- Create a folder on your external hard drive called “To be moved”
- Copy and paste the “My Documents” folder to the “To be moved” folder.
- Backup WinMORE and CLOSE IT. DO NOT COPY THE WINMORE DIRECTORY WHEN THE PROGRAM IS OPEN. This will cause a “phantom user” error when you try to backup or transmit.
- Copy and paste the c:\WinMORE3 folder to the “To be moved” folder.
- Create an “Accountedge Files” folder in the “To be moved” folder.
- Copy all c:\AccountedgePro2016\*.MYO files from old to new computer (i.e. KWR_MCxxx.MYO, 2013KWR_MCxxx.MYO, 2012KWR_MCxxx.MYO, etc.).
- AccountEdge Old Versions: it would be wise to copy/paste the *.myo files from any other years (if you still have them) from the old to the new computer...who knows when/if you might need to update one of the old company data files again for some reason. It's a good backup in any event.
- Create a folder within the “To Be Moved” folder called “AccountEdge Extras.” Copy the Forms folder from your old computer.
- In AccountEdge, select “Help” and “Registration” and print the screen. This will have your serial number on it. Click “Deactivate.” That is so you can use this number to re-install and register your software on your new computer.
- Click Start, Control Panel, and “Add/Remove Programs.” Go through the list of programs, making a list of programs to install on the new computer. Make sure you include your PDF writer.
Installation/Set Up of New Computer:
THIS IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT--We recommend you install programs in the following order: Microsoft Office, AccountEdge, WinMORE, then any other programs you use.
- Ensure that you are an administrator on your new computer.
- Install Microsoft Office - must be installed in 32 bit in order to communicate with Accountedge.
- Install Accountedge:
- Install program to new computer using the link on KWConnect – Memberships - MCA – MC Software.
- Restore all c:\AccountedgePro2016\*.MYO files from “to be moved folder” to new computer (i.e. KWR_MCxxx.MYO, 2008KWR_MCxxx.MYO, 2007KWR_MCxxx.MYO, etc.).
- Register your copy of Accountedge using the information you printed in step 9 of preparation.
Note: If you have any of the above folders installed to your server, no need to copy since nothing is changing on server.
- Install WinMORE (C:\WINMORE3):
- Copy the WinMORE3 folder to the C: drive of your new computer (ensure you are copying the entire folder with all subdirectories).
- Setup WinMORE3 Desktop Shortcut on new computer to match what is on old computer (or you can drag & drop the shortcut icon from the WINMORE3 folder).
- Right Click on the WinMORE3 Icon, select Properties, Advanced, Run as Administrator.
Note: If your WinMORE is currently on a server, then no restore to your new hard drive will be needed - simply have a new shortcut setup with the same properties that your current shortcut uses. Ensure that your new computer has all the same permissions as your prior computer (refer to the NetMORE install guide for questions relating to network settings - this can be found on answers.kw.com under "How do I order the Network edition of WinMORE" ).
- Email messages (if MCA archives messages) - move Outlook PST files from old to new computer.
- Place an exclusion in your Antivirus software for the WinMORE3 folder.